|Build Health International (BHI) has a unique opportunity for a bright, motivated, and hands-on Senior Mechanical Engineer.
BHI is a non-profit organization working in fragile health systems to develop infrastructure solutions that elevate the quality and accessibility of healthcare worldwide. BHI conducts clinical planning, design, construction, and maintenance for healthcare facilities in some of the most impoverished places on earth. We are dedicated to partnering with organizations that provide high-quality, accessible treatment to the most vulnerable. Our work is grounded in commitments to sustainability, health equity, and local capacity building.
In order to support our expanding portfolio of design-build projects, we are seeking an ambitious and compassionate Mechanical Engineer to join our design and construction team. In the role of Senior Mechanical Engineer, the candidate will collaborate closely and support the Architecture, Engineering and Construction teams throughout all phases of the project lifecycle.
- HVAC system design and selection, including heating and cooling load calculations, for various types of healthcare facilities in low-resource settings
- Sizing of ductwork and piping for various mechanical & plumbing systems
- Prepare design narratives and feasibility studies
- Coordination of field surveys of existing facilities and the preparation of existing condition assessments and prepare reports of existing condition
- Periodic on-site inspections and punch lists of completed work
- Commissioning and start up new equipment installation
- Coordinating and preparing design documents for all project phases from concept through construction
- Detailed coordination between architecture, structure and all other building trades
- Review of constructability issues within the constraints of low resource settings
- Production of design documents with Autodesk Software, preferably Revit MEP
- Mentor and lead junior staff, including new hires and interns
- Remote assistance to on-site technician as needed
- Prefab HVAC equipment if needed before shipping to projects
- Develop and coordinate equipment schedules
- 3-5 years of previous experience as a mechanical engineer in the building design or construction industry
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Previous experience working on international projects is preferred
- Experience in performing load calculations and system sizing
- Proficiency in Revit, AutoCAD and other mechanical design software
- Ability to multitask on several projects at once and meet project deadlines
- Strong communication skills and an interest in collaborating with all project stakeholders
- Detailed coordination and integration with other disciplines during Architectural and Engineering phase and field & construction teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact with diverse individuals across multi-cultural teams
- Interest in current and emerging issues in global health or international development
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally to project sites, often in very low resource communities
- Proficiency in languages other than English is a plus (Spanish and French preferred)
Location: The Senior Electrical Engineer will be based at the BHI office in Beverly, Massachusetts, with the opportunity to partially work remotely. Travel may be required when conditions allow.
Compensation: Competitive base salary commensurate with experience.
BHI is committed to providing equal opportunity in the workplace. BHI will make all employment and other placement decisions without regard to non-job-related factors such as race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. This applies to all areas, including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, and benefits.